Given the continued threat of COVID-19 and variants of the virus, face masks are required for indoor areas of the Museum of the Cape Fear Historical Complex. This includes the Museum of the Cape Fear and the 1897 Poe House.
Compliments from Teachers
"What a fabulous experience we had today at the Museum of The Cape Fear!!!! My students and I thank you and our WONDERFUL guide for a truly awesome educational experience. Please, please, please keep offering these opportunities to boys and girls as we experience the history of North Carolina." Patti Hooker Cumberland County School Teacher February 2014
"Your tour guides were fabulous, my kids had the very best time with them today, thank you!" Home School Parent March 2014
Teachers, please make your bus drivers aware of the bus parking spaces on Bradford Ave., beside the museum. Children will step off the bus and onto the sidewalk, which leads to the front door of the museum or Poe House. (Look for the bus parking signs and markings on the pavement.)
Making a Field Trip Reservation
- Select a couple of dates you wish to visit, such as a first and second choice, and what time you would like to visit. The museum opens at 10:00 AM but to accommodate school needs, tours can begin as early as 9:00 AM.
- When you are ready to schedule a field trip, call the museum at (910) 500-4243 or email Leslie Leonard: firstname.lastname@example.org. We require a minimum of two weeks advance notice for guided school tours. When you call, please be prepared to provide the following information:
- School name, city, county, state and zip code.
- Number of students and adults expected to attend.
- Name of the group leader and the group leader’s email address.
- Two phone numbers are required: the school phone and a home or cell of the person making the reservation in case the museum needs to reach someone after school hours.
Choose Your Tour
- Museum Guided Tour
- Poe House Tour
- COMBINATION TOUR: Tour both the museum & Poe House together; can take up to 2 1/2 hours
History Spy tour for kindergarten and preschool-aged students are led by the group leader and includes an activity sheet provided by the museum.
Arsenal grounds are self-guided, or teacher led, only.
Will the group shop in the museum store?
Gift Shop Information and Rules
- Shopping for souvenirs must occur after the tour
- Add at least another 30 minutes to your visit to allow ample time for shopping
- Only 10 to 12 students are permitted in the gift shop at one time (teachers are responsible for rotating children through the gift shop)
- Some teachers collect money and buy a pencil for each student.
- Teachers often allow only students with money to go into the shop. This cuts down on the amount of time added to the visit.
Lesson plan aid -- NC Standard course of Study aligned with a museum field trip
Teachers, consider offering your students some extra credit for attending museum programs and special events. We can certify their attendance with a signed brochure or event program.